You Got the Job - Now What?
Accelerate All-School Spring Event
was held on April 5, 2013
at New Mexico Highlands University
The Accelerate Technical Training and Job Placement program hosted the final all-school event of the academic year on Friday, April 5th. Students learned about benefits options and what it takes to become a star employee. Four Accelerate students shared their Fellowship experiences and detailed the professional and personal lessons they learned from these opportunities.
Peter Callan shared his Fellowship experience with fellow Acccelerate students
Special Guests Included:
Dr. Gilbert Rivera - VP of Academic Affairs, NMHU
- Dr. Sharon Caballero - Executive Director, NMHU Foundation
- Kiki Arellano - HR Supervisor, San Miguel County
- Ken Holley - Recruiting and Talent Pipeline, Sandia National Laboratory
- Accelerate Fellowship Students Justin Ryan Salazar, John Hinkly, Jesus Angulo, Peter Callan
From Classroom to Career - A Dress Rehearsal
Accelerate All-School Professional Readiness Event
was held on February 8, 2013
at Ohkay Owingeh Conference Center
The Accelerate Technical Training and Job Placement program hosted the second all-school event of the academic year for students on Friday, February 8th. Throughout the fall semester, Accelerate's Career Technical Advisors have lead workshops and classes to help students develop the skills required to apply for jobs in their field of study, learn to network, succeed in the interview process, and contribute to an organization once they are offered a position. This event provided students with an opportunity to practice these skills and gain valuable insight and tips from human resource directors, hiring managers, and representatives from regional organizations.
Pathways to Success
Accelerate Fall All-School Mixer
was held on Friday, October 19th, 2012
at Luna Community College in Las Vegas, NM
Photos courtesy of Jessie Gallegos / Luna Light
The Accelerate Technical Training and Job Placement program hosted the first of three all-school events for students on Friday, October 19. This year’s fall event offered students an opportunity to get to know each other and meet influential members of their communities.
Students watched a panel discussion of Northern New Mexico community members at various stages in their careers and education discuss the meaning of success, motivation, and the importance of role models and mentors. Students also had an opportunity to meet the panelists and ask questions.
Special Guests included:
- Dr. Peter Campos - President of Luna Community College
- Liddie Martinez, Director of Community and Economic Development – SOC Los Alamos
- Hector Baldaras, New Mexico State Auditor
- Fatima Pino - former Accelerate student now earning a 4-year degree in engineering
- Oliva Lopez, Master’s Degree Candidate at UNM – Los Alamos
- Kim Shanahan, Executive Officer, Santa Fe Area Home Builders Association
- Dr. Gil Gallegos, Assistant Professor of Computer Science/Engineering at New Mexico Highlands University
- Vangie Trujillo, Economic Development Program Manager, LANL Community Programs Office